In everyone’s life there are problems to solve,
Even in the strongest relationship,
there are differences to overcome.
It is easy to give up when confronted with difficulties;
to fool yourself into believing that
perfection can be found somewhere else.
But true happiness and a lasting relationship are found
when you look inside yourself
for solutions to the problems.
Instead of walking away when things get tough
and blaming the other person,
look for compromise and forgiveness.
Caring is not a matter of convenience.
It is a commitment of one soul to another.
And if each gives generously of themselves,
then both lives are enriched.
The problems will come and go,
just like the changing seasons.
But unselfish love is constant and everlasting.
~ Susan Staszewski from LOVE ISN’T ALWAYS EASY edited by Susan Polis Schutz
- The annual divorce rate in the United States is about 50%
- Marriage is the most popular voluntary choice that Americans make
- Over 90% of Americans will marry at least once
- There are 2.3 million marriages and 1.2 million divorces each year
- 35-40% of engaged couples receive premarital counseling
- Premarital counseling can reduce divorce by 30%
- There are over 6 million cohabiting couples in the United States, some may eventually marry, some will break up, and others will continue to live together.